Sunday, August 21, 2011

Surapong admits he is the 'weakest link'


Foreign Minister Surapong Towijakchaikul has called himself the "weakest link" of the Yingluck Cabinet.

Of course, not everything is negative when you consider yourself in the worst possible position. You can only go up from here.

Surapong told Thai Post's Sunday interview today that he hadn't known about the foreign affairs portfolio being alloted to him until the last minute.

"That evening, the official announcement came at 9.00 pm. I hadn't believed that I would be made foreign minister. But around 5 to 6 in the evening,there began some talks about my being made foreign minister. That morning, some media already were speculating about that. I didn't believe it. So, when the official word came, I was shaken. My hairs stood on ends. But then, I was confident I could do the job because the party had given me the trust...."

Surapong said since he had belonged to the Democrat Party before, he would be targetted for all the attacks against this government. "No matter what I touch, I would come under attack," he said.

In other words, if he had had control over this political life, Surapong wouldn't have picked the foreign affairs portfolio.

But then politics is about sacrifice, right?

No comments: