Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Superman Virabongsa is back!


Virabongsa Ramangkura, the man for all seasons, is back. This time he has been named chairman of the Strategic Committee for Reconstruction and Future Development (SCRF) to help the government devise plans to rebuild the country after the floods.

How did he get lured back into an active role such as this one?

"I had no hesitation at all. Once the prime minister asked me, I accepted immediately because not accepting would mean I am without a heart and I wouldn't be able to sleep at night," he says.

Virabongsa had earlier been tipped to be a Cabinet member under Premier Yingluck. The deal didn't go through for some unknown reasons. But he was always waiting in the wings, ready for an advisory role such as this one.

"I am going to meet the Japanese ambassador to ask him to arrange for me to visit Japan so that I can ask Japanese business leaders on what they want us to do. Japan has been a good friend all along. During the tomyamkung financial crisis, Japan was the only big country that didn't hammer us," the former finance minister said.

Interestingly enough, Virabongsa will have two deputy premiers and finance minister under him in the committee.

Isn't that a big unconventional? "Well, the premier told me tradition is there to be broken anyway," he responded.

No comments: