Saturday, April 18, 2009

Thaksin tells FT: Only the King can reconcile the nation



Thaksin Shinawatr continues to talk to the foreign press from Dubai, his latest base before sneaking into Africa. He told the Financial Times that it's time for His Majesty the King to step in -- to intervene "because otherwise there will be more division...and he is the only person who can reconcile the whole country."

Can he see himself as a permanent expatriate?

Thaksin said: "I don't think so. I have the aspiration to go back. But I prefer to go back as a normal citizen."

So no return to politics?

"If the country doesn't need me, or if by going back to politics, it would create more division, I would not. But if I go back and it would benefit the people, I will."

Remember what Thaksin told the red-shirted rally through the video link a few days before the mob ran amok?

He declared: "Once the gunshots are heard (from the military), I will be back to personally lead you..."

No comments: