Friday, December 12, 2008

Anupong: Did he advise or did he meddle?


He has kept his promise not to stage a coup -- so far. But did he stage a "quiet coup" by pressuring several groups of politicians to back the Democrat Party to form the next government?

"I offered my advice but I did not meddle in the formation of the new government," declared Army Commander-in-Chief Gen Anupong Paochinda yesterday.

Why did he offer his political advice then?

"Because the public has put high hopes on the military to improve the situation facing the country. I also would like the country to move on."

Did he negotiate for the post of defence minister?

"No. I have never aspired to any political post."

You will have to come to your own conclusion if you have any doubt on whether the army is behind the current showdown between Thaksin Shinawatra's Peau Thai and the Democrat Party to become the core of the new government.

No comments: