Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Thaksin invites Sondhi and Sonthi for a cup of coffee in Dubai


Thaksin Shinawatra says he is ready to reconcile with his foes. "Let them come to Dubai. I'll buy them coffee. Both Sondhi and Sonthi are welcome here. I am ready to forget the past although that doesn't mean I will have to work with them in the future," he told an interviewer on Thai PBS.

Apart from that social gesture, the former premier in exile, didn't offer anything concrete to implement his "reconciliation" concept. He repeated his general statements -- "I am not a revengeful man" and "I am ready to forget and forgive" -- but he didn't say what he would do to make a new beginning possible.

"I don't have to go back to Thailand. Don't worry about me," he said. At one point, Thaksin said he had before the 2006 coup that ousted him from office in fact planned to resign his premiership on his 60th birthday.

"But now I have to fight on," he declared.

In other words, Thaksin offered no new ideas or indications on how he will turn his pledge for national reconciliation into real actions.

No comments: